Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Later on the same day.

Wow . This morning we decided to have a group walk around and crit style event. It was enlightening and amazing. We took time to comment and discuss in some detail, each piece of work from each artist. Everyone has been prolific , and the comments were absorbing and the discussion interesting.I didn't take my camera along, because I needed to listen, and if you have use a camera it separates you from the reality of the event some what. The pictures with this entry are from Witty`s camera




Cliff space
Igshaans roof


Toria`s  space

 The circle
 Cliffs shower
 Witty`s other space
 Petes Space
 In the cloud lounge
Deconstructed space

Thank you Witty! There are loads more pictures from the week , which will eventually end up on flickr.
It was great to share our difficulties and demons, as well as offer each other encouragement. It gave me a feeling that is a cross between being humbled and uplifted at the same time. There is a kind of communal understanding, of the issues that have been troubling us all, and ample support from within the group. 

We have all been thinking  as we work, about our own interests and inspirations, but also about common themes; the nature of `fine art`, genre and classification of your work as an artist. There has been some thought about the meaning of a `finished` piece of art, and as we are expecting visitors at an open day event tomorrow, it seemed appropriate that we had something to show them. Personally , this has been a bit of an hindrance to the clarity of my creative thought. I think I am not the only one! The idea behind the Triangle model for workshops and residencies emphasizes sharing ideas, communication and experimentation, rather than preparing products for exhibition. I have to admit, I felt a bit embarrassed of what I had created in the past couple of days. Certainly not ready to show anyone.  
The place where we are working is huge and full of disused machinery and materials. It is very beautiful everywhere. The old buildings, the countryside, the excessive quantities of everything. Where or how do you make or create anything in an environment that is already so excessive ? What kind of `art` can stand next to living installations already so gorgeous. I was in a tricky confused place creatively, but in heaven physically.
I needed to do something that did justice  the wonderful materials around me, that made you look at the surroundings and appreciate the splendor of it all.
Out of the chaos of the pile of materials that we were allowed to use, I had to find an entropy. An indicative order and calmness. So I began to tidy up in a big way as an active aid to thought  Folding, sorting, sweeping, so it was all easier to see that we are surrounded by, the nature of all these materials and equipment, and that they are visual and exciting in themselves.
I took apart some of the installations I had made and just left the cut pieces in piles , they made tactile and interesting items. There are still some deliberate  made pieces in the space, but more subtle and conceptually more fulfilling. Hopefully a sculptural form will emerge,
Witty and I made a compromise about one area, where we both were not happy with our work. But we agreed to leave it standing. For now.
 natural beauty
tidy and contain
visit from Penny!
 Area of great compromise



deconstruction

No comments:

Post a Comment